Re: [TenTec] Omni VII - I feel like such a n00b...

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VII - I feel like such a n00b...
From: Kevin Purcell <kevinpurcell@pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 00:00:10 -0800
Except it sucks if you already have a network in place that has a
zero in the second or third octets. It's a legal address (though it
seems that the O7 assumes you have a "Class C" network, an odd
assumption).

And I do hate it when a buggy device cause a network wide change to
workaround it's problems.

I think I can see how this bug came about: a naive understanding of
IP indicates that the radio's address can't be 0.0.0.0 (the default
network) or 255.255.255.255 (the broadcast address). So you write the
same validation code for each digit excluding 0 and 255 then you end
up with this issue.

So I expect it's a sort of weak specification perhaps due to not
quite understanding IP addresses. Or reusing code inappropriately/
naively. Radio people doing the Internet, eh? :-)

Should be an easy fix though.

73 Kevin

On Dec 7, 2007, at 7:57 PM, Gary Hoffman wrote:

> Yes, routers and similar network operations devices make use of 000
> and also
> 255 issued for certain operations (by convention, not necessity)
> and for
> that matter 1 and 254 are usually reserved for certain tasks as well.
>
> Since the radio is an end use device, and not a router or other
> network
> operations or management device, I can't see that this is much of a
> limitation, in practice.

Kevin Purcell
kevinpurcell@pobox.com