Re: [TenTec] balun noise?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] balun noise?
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 14:23:58 -0600
On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 08:09 -0800, Jim Brown K9YC wrote:
> DJ0IP said (among other things):
>
> >This is an unbalanced antenna.

I wonder... This was a vertical with ground radials as I recall. Could
it be that the radials weren't effective at decoupling the outside braid
current, so the feedline was a significant part of the antenna causing
it to be directional. Then by decoupling those external currents with
the balun, the system lost its directivity that was accidentally
rejecting the noise source. E.g. making the vertical fit its reputation
for hearing all the noise sources in the neighborhood.

73, Jerry, K0CQ