Re: [TenTec] Orion Repaired and Back to V1.373b5

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Repaired and Back to V1.373b5
From: Martin Ewing - AA6E <aa6e@ewing.homedns.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 15:12:01 -0500
Mark Erbaugh wrote:
> One thing TT could do to make the situation better is to license the
> code to third party developers, or better yet, make it available to all
> under some open source license.
> Mark

It may go against ham culture, but I suggested (long ago) that TT should
sell a support contract for Orion firmware (and maybe hardware).  That
would help keep the development wheels turning.  To me, it would be
worth $100 a year to get real progress. Of course, there would be
problems running such a program - how do you prevent freeloading, etc.

An open source (community-based) support process would be even better,
but that does not seem to be part of the TT philosophy.  Some of their
competitors are doing better on this.

73 Martin AA6E
TenTec mailing list