Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec Pegasus Remote Operation

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec Pegasus Remote Operation
From: Mark Erbaugh <mark@microenh.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 10:53:03 -0500
On Sun, 2007-12-16 at 23:06 -0600, W6JC wrote:
> Mark,  I would recommend using Windows XP Pro Remote Desk Top at the
> radio host location.  Using that you can actually control any radio
> that
> can be controlled with computer software.  Since the Pegasus is
> already
> a computer controlled radio via the serial port it is a natural to
> easily remote.  For the audio you could have to download Skype at
> www.skype.com and connect the mic and audio out to the sound card.
> When
> I first setup a radio for internet remote control I used a Kenwood
> TS-480 which required host program but now that I have switched over
> Remote Desk Top I only need the ARCP-480 control program running on
> the
> computer at the radio site.  Then the only thing needed for a laptop
> or
> other computer to be used anywhere in the world where you have
> internet
> access is to use the native Remote Desk Top which is a part of
> Windows
> XP.  One important detail however is the the host computer at the
> radio
> site must be Windows XP Pro.  Then XP Home can be used for the
> portable
> or client computer wherever you travel.  There is another excellent
> solution if you only have Win XP Home and the is Real VNC which can
> be
> downloaded online and I think might cost around $30.  Once you get a
> system all hooked up and ready then it just takes a little care in
> getting the sound card levels right.  Good luck,

Thanks for the information.  I understand the concept of remote
operation.  The only issue I have with the Pegasus is how to control the
power to the radio remotely. Do you just leave it on all the time?  I
had a TS-870 and one neat thing about it's computer control was that it
was able to turn the radio on and off. Does the 480 have the same
feature?

Another, more elegant, solution would be a dedicated radio server
program that runs on the computer connected directly the Pegasus, and a
client program that connects over the internet.  Ham Radio Deluxe has
this capability, but unfortunately, does not support the Pegasus.

73,
Mark