Re: [TenTec] Triton IV with digital modes

To: <KC2RVD@arrl.net>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Triton IV with digital modes
From: "N4NT" <mike_n4nt@embarqmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 21:04:20 -0500
The Triton relies upon the ALC voltage's being generated to prevent
oscillation in the final amplifier.  The diodes which generate this voltage
sometimes go bad -- often from a lightning storm in the next county.  When
this is the problem, the rig will work at lower power settings but once the
drive is advanced beyond a certain point the oscillation starts.  That will
give a higher reflected power reading and excessive current.

If that is the trouble, I suggest replacing not only those diodes but also
the SWR detection diodes since they are in physical proximity and sometimes
fail at the same time.

73, Mike N4NT