Re: [TenTec] Omni VI XTAL OSC problem

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI XTAL OSC problem
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 08:29:31 -0600
Hams are tweakers.  We tweak this and tweak that in an effort to get it
better.  I repair "over tweaked" radios on a regular basis.  There's nothing
like having to replace 3 or 4 coils with busted slugs.

Alignment of the Omni VI series is not difficult "IF" and that's a big if,
you have the experience and documentation and test equipment required.  If
you don't, then it becomes a science project with unknown results.  I've
aligned several of these very successfully.  My manual has voltages, test
points, waveforms and such that have been entered and obtained by me from
known good working circuits.  The PLL's have a lock pulse that is difficult
to see even with a 250 MHz scope.  It's fast.  Miss that one and you're in
deep trouble as Dan says.

Best thing, take advantage of the economical,  fast and excellent Tentec
Service department.  You won't regret the investment of a few dollars to get
it done completely correct.

73
Bob, K4TAX