Re: [TenTec] STANDARDISATION OF S-METER READINGS

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] STANDARDISATION OF S-METER READINGS
From: "Merle Bone" <merlebone@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 13:38:28 -0600
The Orion's S-meter calibration certainly isn't anything to "write home about,"
but it is "representative" of the distant stations signal strength.
Running V1.373b5 I get the following readings using calibrated signal generator
and attenuator on 14.058 MHz:

Sig Level      Preamp On             Preamp Off            "Standard Reading"

50 microvolts         S9+11              S8.1                                 S9
-6dB                        S9                    S7
         S8
-12dB                      S8.1                 S5.5
      S7
-18dB                      S7                    S4.5
       S6
-24dB                      S5.8                 S3
        S5
-30dB                      S4.5                 S2
        S4
-36dB                      S3.1                 S2
        S3
-42dB                       S2.1                S1.8
       S2
-48dB                       S1.8                S1.8
       S1

S1.8 is about as low as the S-meter goes on this release of the firmware with
the RF gain at 100 and the AGC threshold set for .36 microvolts and the decay
set for 200dB/s.  I use the "calibrated measurements" when I am trying to
understand antenna performance - particularly "front to back/side" measurements.
73, Merle - W0EWM