Re: [TenTec] ORION II CW pile up readability

To: tentec@contesting.com, Tonno.Vahk@gildbankers.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORION II CW pile up readability
From: BobK8IA@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:27:49 EST

In a message dated 1/28/2008 10:48:09 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
Tonno.Vahk@gildbankers.com writes:

Guys,  could I get some advice. I have been trying to get used to my OII for
a while  now and in some instances it is great compared to my old fully loaded
MP's.  Sharp filters, great sensitivity, good strong signal handling, more
effective  NR than MP, etc...

But I find it extremely difficult to handle CW pile  up as it is so much more
difficult to read out single calls from pile up. They  all sound the same and
form a mass of signals. It was very difficult this  weekend on 160 to hear DX
station from the endless EU callers in his pile-up.  I don't know what it is
about the CW signals in MP that make them much easier  to distinguish between.
I have tried to play around with NR, RF GAIN, ATT, AGC  and BW without much
success.

Tips  appreciated.

73
Tonno
ES5TV

Like you, Tonno, I contest. For CW contesting, here are my  settings. I have
been using a Orion II for 2 yrs now with vy good success.

CW Contesting:

BW = 210 hz (go as low as you need, but caution since a lot of  callers do
not zero beat. You will miss them with this radio. Make sure DSP  Filter Length
is at 199 taps

PBT =  as desired. I find -30 to be good and I like LCW as  well.

Roofing filter = I find 600hz adequate but sometimes use 1 khz  and sometimes
300 hz

AGC = A MED setting of mine = 0.12s Hang. 30 db/s decay,  0.99uv threshold
(or wherever you want AGC to kick in)

For 160 I use a PROG AGC setting = 0.51s hang, 5 db/s Decay, .84uv  threshold

AGC Slope 1:10

Main Rx SQL = -127 dbm

RF GAIN = 72-94 depending on band and cndx

NB, NR only as needed. I do find myself using NR 3 or 4 on 160  often

These have been successful settings for running cw qso's at 150-170  q's/hr,
60 minute measurements, which is about my limit.

73, Bob  K8IA
Arizona USA
www.k8ia.com