Re: [TenTec] ORION II CW pile up readability

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORION II CW pile up readability
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 12:11:05 -0600
On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 21:56 -0600, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:
> I've been reading this thread with interest.    There's a couple of things
> that I'd like to point out.
>
> First, there is clearly the need to run to audio gain at a level for
> comfortable listening.  However, running the gain "wide open" or at a very
> high setting does leave one exposed to likely ear damage, headphone damage
> or speaker damage in the event of some accidental feedback condition that
> might develop. Be careful, headphones are about the most dangerous device
> one can place over or in our ears.

I believe there needs to be at least two gain control loops in the
modern radio. For user comfort the output needs control, the classic
AVC. Not necessarily so strong control it removes variations in signal,
but good enough it brings  up the weak signals, but prevents ear
blasting from strong signals. This needs to work only on the actual
signal bandwidth at the speaker or headphones. It should not pump on
rejected (notched or outside the audio bandpass) signals. Then the
digital and analog front end needs AGC to keep the level of the spectrum
applied to the A/D(s) as high as possible without exceeding the top end
of the A/D dynamic range.

> As to RF gain, keep in mind that the A-D and D-A processing clearly has a
> limit as to the dynamic range it can accurately handle.  Exceed this range
> and the system will produce all sorts of rude sounds and results.  Now to
> keep the A-D and D-A systems within their correct signal handling range
> there is an internal AGC function that is not user accessible.  At the same
> time in order to maintain the highest S/N ratio for reception, some type of
> gain control system is required, thus enter the user AGC system.  That
> system too has its limits of input dynamic range vs. output dynamic range.
> Now to operate within that range comes the "human interface" thus the
> dreaded manual RF Gain control.

It appears to me that one AGC system is trying and failing to accomplish
both tasks.

> The noise floor of these radios is extremely low.  Clearly many dB below the
> atmospheric noise and antenna thermal noise.  This is necessary to "hear the
> weak ones".  At the same time the gain of the radio, input to output is
> quite high.  Again needed to hear the weak ones.  Typically I find that
> after setting the AF gain at a modest level, it is then quite easy to find a
> RF gain setting for the band conditions and signals present.  I really find
> that I don't have to "ride the RF Gain" when tuning the bands.  The internal
> AGC systems handle the signals quite well.  Changing bands or antennas
> systems or even sometimes beam heading changes the noise floor and thus some
> minor RF gain adjustment is needed.
>
> Perhaps we are not being clear in out terminology between AVC and AGC.  In
> case you thought so, they aren't the same.   Today's digital radios don't
> have AVC systems so don't expect the AGC system to do what a AVC system
> does.
>
> I'm still not convinced that the PRE AMP on condition is really needed for
> most HF operation as it provides some 6 to 24 dB of gain.  In most cases on
> HF, again atmospheric noise will be the weak signal limiting factor.

Unless the antenna efficiency is very poor, such as a Beverage or very
small active antenna.

--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,