Re: [TenTec] Argonaut 509/515 Filter Question

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argonaut 509/515 Filter Question
From: Clark Savage Turner <csturner@kcbx.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 12:44:09 -0800
Quick comment, Bill.  I found that replacement of the stock 4 pole
filter with a tighter 8 pole filter still results in significant
blowby.  I found that putting another 4 pole filter in an earlier part
of the circuit eliminated the blowby very well and left me with plenty
of signal.  I don't recall exactly where I stuck that extra 4 pole
filter in there, but it was not far from the standard filter.

Jerry makes a good point, by the way, you can tradeoff a bit of width
in the filter for much better ability to hear in some of the worst
conditions.  A lesson hard learned in my shack.

Clark
WA3JPG

On Feb 13, 2008, at 12:20 PM, Bill Miner wrote:

> Has anyone replaced the stock filters with any of the Inrad units?
> How did
> the new filters work and how much trouble was it to wire the Inrads
> into the
> Ten Tec rig?
>
> The stock filters seem to have very wide skirts or filter blow-by or
> maybe
> both.

Clark Savage Turner, J.D., Ph.D.
Professor of Computer Science