Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI Chirp Report

To: N4YG <n4yg@comcast.net>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI Chirp Report
From: "Andrew Moore" <andrew.nv1b@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 10:26:30 -0500
<<
I received a report of chirp on the signal from my OMNI VI+ during a
recent CW qso. The person who gave the report indicated that it was
not "bad" chirp and added that he hears chirp on almost every OMNI VI.
I checked my signal out by listening with another receiver. Even with
a tone of 100 Hz, I was not able to detect any chirp. I did note that
the keying waveform was a bit softer than I prefer, but there was no
perceptible chirp.

There's a lot of debate about the presence or lack of Omni VI chirp.
I used to be able to pick out VI's by just listening.  I've also heard
VI's with no chirp.  It's also subjective -- what one person hears as
chirp, another hears as normal.

I'll be glad to get on the air with you and give you my opinion for
what it's worth.  40 meters works best for me.

--Andrew
(VI+ owner)