Re: [TenTec] Titan 425 shelved for 10 years

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Titan 425 shelved for 10 years
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 15:06:41 -0600
If it uses electrolytics then they deteriorate with age.  Doesn't make any
difference on what brand of amp.  Exception would be if they used oil filled
caps, yep those with PCB's, and they should last 40+ years or until at least
the can rusts through and the oil leaks out.  Ugh, what a sticky mess.

I've an old Western Electric BC transmitter from the 40's sitting here. All
original caps........except for the electrolytics.  The 4 tubes in the PA
and modulator have date codes of 1960.  And yep, still makes 250 watts of
carrier just like it did 48 years ago.  The Tentec Centurion sitting on the
desk has original caps and tubes.  Bought it new from TT in 1991.  Still
pushes the Bird 43 to 1300 watts +.  Estimated at some 3500 hours on the
amp.  That's about 200 hours / year or about 4 hrs / week.  I figure it will
last longer than I will.

Do be careful when powering up an amp that has been in storage or not used
for 3 to 5 years.  Allow the tubes to outgas via the getter by having the
filaments or heaters on for up to a day per year of storage.  The tubes will
love you for it and it will be a lot easier on your checking account.  A
Variac is also a valuable piece of equipment when doing these kind of tasks.

The idea of hitting the switch with full line voltage applied, waiting and
watching for the flash, bang and smoke is not a pleasant experience.

73
Bob, K4TAX