[TenTec] Live and Learn

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Live and Learn
From: "jkelly_home" <jkelly@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 08:47:12 -0500
In buying and selling ham radio gear over the internet for nearly
10 years I finally got burnt on a deal on QRZ.  The person represented
himself as a ham - stealing the call and name, answered technical
questions correctly and had a paypal account.

I send this email as a reminder to hams that frauds can happen.

If I ever purchase equipment again I will at the least:

1. Verify that the name and call is correct
2. Contact the person via phone, verify phone number and reverse look up
address.
3. Check the IP address of the purchaser to determine if it lines up with the
address from the ham call.
4. Paypal sellers will have to have Buyer protection.
5. Limit purchases to people that have a known history (like on this list) or
Buyer feedback.
6. Encourage face to face exchanges for local deals.

I'd like to hear other ideas as well.

The worst thing to do is see a great deal and rush to get it, while dropping
all the normal
verifications you might go through.

Live and learn.

73,