Re: [TenTec] proper caps for Omni V?--> Sanyo Oscon

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] proper caps for Omni V?--> Sanyo Oscon
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 15:05:55 -0600
On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 09:48 -0700, Doug Smith wrote:
> Dave wrote:
> >
> > I'm certainly enjoying a good discussion, and its got me considering
> > recapping my Corsair II.
>
> This *is* a good discussion and I'm also enjoying it.  Thank you for
> posting the Sanyo links.
>
> For anyone who carries through with a re-capping project it would be great
> to post their parts list and parts source info.  That info would be a big
> help to anyone who later contemplates doing the same thing.

It would also be great to measure as much about the performance as
possible (MDS, S/N, blocking range, audio bandwidths, gains everywhere)
before and after the project to see if the benefit I expect is really
there. And to write down perceptions, as some of the improvements may be
subtle.

Summer before last I did a modification project to the 220 module of my
FT-736  that I expected to increase the sensitivity and the dynamic
range by terminating the output port of the first balanced mixer with a
broadband MMIC instead of the baaad crystal filter. The added gain moved
the AGC threshold to 20 dB above MDS instead of 30 and that certainly
makes it a more comfortable receiver to use, but I was unable to prove
it changed the dynamic range (2006 CSVHF Conference Proceedings).

In the case of old miniature electrolytics, I expect a small improvement
from each replacement but a noticeable improvement when all are changed.
I've seen that with leaky molded oil capacitors in Collins equipment
where changing one didn't make much of an effect but changing all of
them did solve most of the receiver's just not quite perfect
performance, a little low in gain and a little distorted on strong
signals (and the audio output tube scorching hot).