Re: [TenTec] New Sherwood Presentation - Powerpoint & Audio

To: "Alfred Lorona" <w6wqc@dslextreme.com>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New Sherwood Presentation - Powerpoint & Audio
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 13:35:47 -0500
The Sherwood Presentation and data is only one set of parameters for judging
a receiver performance.  Truly there are others that are more or less
important to each of us.

Just this morning, in a SSB QSO on 75M, the other fellows in the group
complained that a QSO some 3 kHz downband on USB was clobbering them.  I did
a SWP and indeed saw the signals downband as well as those on the frequency
of which I was in the QSO.  On my Omni VII I tuned VFO B downband 3 kHz and
switched to USB.  Sure enough there was a QSO in progress. Signals were
running about S-5 to maybe S-9 in that QSO.  Switching back to VFO A and LSB
the signals in the QSO there were running S-9 +10 to 20 dB.  The end result,
I had no problem copying the stations in my QSO and was not bothered the
least  by the QSO on USB some 3 kHz downband.  I find it interesting that
some radios seem to have a problem with this condition while others do not.
Yes, there's more to receiver performance than 2 kHz dynamic range
performance.

73
Bob, K4TAX