Re: [TenTec] Omni VI Plus audio

To: Bob McGraw - K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI Plus audio
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 09:39:12 -0600
On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 22:48 -0500, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:
> The CW filter in the Collins 75S-3 on my desk has clearly and noticeably
> more ringing than either the 500 Hz or 300 Hz filters installed in my Omni
> VII.
>
> 73
> Bob, K4TAX

My 75S-3B has a 200 Hz CW filter. I was surprised it was useful compared
to the ringing of the SSB mechanical filter, but I've not used it much,
my ears are more accustomed to a wider noise spectrum.

The SSB filter rings so much on line noise that the envelope seen on a
scope on the IF is constant amplitude. With the AM "filters" switched in
the noise is distinct spikes every peak (360 times per second with 3
phase power lines in the neighborhood like they were when I made the
tests in 1965), but with the 2.1 filter the envelope was continuous from
filter ringing. I've been ranting about that ever since.

73, Jerry, K0CQ