Re: [TenTec] New to Ten Tec

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New to Ten Tec
From: Steve Berg <wa9jml@tbc.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 20:00:17 -0500
I have been a ham since 1963, and spend most of my time on VHF. I have
had a great time with my Argonaut II, which now is the IF radio in my
VHF station.  It did quite well on the low bands, too with QRP power
levels, and has the best noise blanker I have ever used.  I later bought
an Omni V and have done well with that on the HF bands with a mere trap
vertical.  This past summer, I bought a nice Corsair II from a list
member, along with its external VFO.  That rig is amazing.  I have
managed to work a fair amount of DX with it on 80, 40, 20 and 17 meters,
mostly on CW running the rig barefoot.  But, I am not a contester,
though I get on sometimes to hand out some points and see how far I can
work.  If I were a serious competitor, then I would be more interested
in the newer software defined radios.  As it is, I am extremely happy
with the Corsair II and look forward to recapping the Omni V and getting
it back into operation, too.  It depends on what you are used to and the
type of operation you enjoy.  I had a lot of fun filled years with an
ancient National NCX-5 and a Drake 2B paired with a Gonset GSB-100
transmitter.

Your mileage may vary...

Steve WA9JML