Re: [TenTec] Ameritron amp issues and looking for a Centaur

To: "Rick Denney" <rick@rickdenney.com>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ameritron amp issues and looking for a Centaur
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 20:10:17 -0500
Sounds like a combination of switching problems in the amp in as much as the
Omni shows high SWR thus it is seeing no load.  This seems to be confirmed
that the amp is not receiving drive.  I suspect an input relay problem in
the amp.  Or input network problem with the amp on one or more bands.

Your initial problem was caused by a VHF parasitic oscillation that caused
failure of the 811A's.  Common faults occurring after a massive VHF
oscillation can likely be switch damage on the input section or output
section of the band switch.  Likely you should see evidence of burn marks or
melted contacts or maybe contacts that are no longer present.

Although the 572B's have a higher plate dissipation,  I don't suggest
replacing 811A's with 572B's as there is no advantage due to power supply
voltage and current limitations.

If you are using the N.O. relay in the Omni to place the amp into transmit,
yes, you will experience hot switching in the amp.  This is not a QSK amp
and thus the transceiver should not be operated in the QSK mode.  You will
have to use manual PTT to accomplish RX to TX switching.

73
Bob, K4TAX