Re: [TenTec] Ameritron amp issues and looking for a Centaur

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ameritron amp issues and looking for a Centaur
From: Rick Denney <rick@rickdenney.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 06:59:00 -0400
Ed writes...

> You need to measure this for forward/reverse resistance, not continuity.
> This diode acts as a fuse to protect the metering circuit. With no drive
> applied, you should see no grid current.

Bingo! D16 was a dead short. I replaced it, and the amp now seems to
work fine.

> If I understand it correctly there were/are 2 versions of this amp.
> Would you take the time and look here to see if this schematic agrees
> with yours ?

> http://www.ameritron.com/man/pdf/AL-811.pdf

Mine is older--doesn't have the transistor switching of the T/R relay;
doesn't have the diode string in the filament circuit; used a
full-wave bridge rectifier in the low-voltage circuit that powers the
dial lamps and T/R relay, etc.

> Another thing that bothers me is the ALC circuit. again an old and
> proven design. However it picks off some of the RF output, rectifies
> it and sends it back to the input circuit. If it were me I would
> take this out of the RF path, especially since TT does not provide
> ALC.

If I end up with a Centaur, this will be my second operating position
when I install a new antenna later this year, and that radio (a
Kenwood) has ALC.

> Keep in mind that TT stopped producing the Centaur, not because it
> didn't sell, but they could not find acceptable tubes.

What is meant by "acceptable"? Does this mean that the Centaur has
different requirements than the Ameritron in terms of tubes? I figured
I could just order the Chinese-made Taylor Select tubes from RF Parts,
and not drive them as hard.

> I'm not going to comment on the parasitic discussion other than to say
> that most catastrophic events in an amp are caused by component failure
> and/or operator error.

When tuning on 10 meters, I overdrove the grid and plate currents. I
was looking at the wrong meter (the wattmeter) and overdrove the amp
during tuning. Also, for a while now I've been tuning the amp using
the Tune control, and switching the amp with the Relay out from the
Omni V. This combination apparently hot-switches the amp. I suspect it
was the overdriving that caused the problem. I wonder if the old
suppressor design's inductor wasn't bypassing all that excessive 28
MHz RF around the resistor, causing it to overheat and blow. For all I
know it may have already been blown, waiting for me to use it on 10
(which I had not done before).

Anything I should look at carefully before declaring victory?

> **** KEEP IN MIND HV CAN AND WILL KILL YOU **** BE CAREFUL ****

Oh, yes.

Thanks for your excellent help.

Rick, KR9D

---
Richard W. Denney, Jr. PE|Iteris, Inc.
Associate Vice President |107 Carpenter Dr. Ste 230 |    703.925.3819
rwd@iteris.com           |Sterling, VA 20164        |Fax 703.471.1757