[TenTec] Reasons for selling K3....

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Reasons for selling K3....
From: "fraz1" <fraz1@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 08:31:47 -0500
Hi Folks....

I have had many emails asking why I decided to sell my K3.

First, my K3/100 was SN 77, equipped with the ATU and 500 Hz five pole roofing
filter.  I am primarily a CW, DX chaser type op.  I "play" in contests from
time to time.  If you want, check me on QRZ.com or my site at K4NP.net.

My Orion is June 2003 vintage, equipped with the INRAD 600 Hz filter in the 1
KHz slot, and the TT 250 Hz roofing filter.

The K3 is a very fine radio, and the folks at Elecraft are great people and are
pumping out rapid firmware updates.

Here we go.....

The K3 has NO band stacking registers.  It does have memories, but I personally
find the lack of band stacking a major negative.  Scrolling through bands/modes
is not fun to me.

The QSK in the K3 is excellent.  The Orion is superb.

When driving my Alpha with the K3 in the SSB mode, the K3 does not provide full
power output.  It also tends to fluctuate somewhat.  Elecraft is working very
hard to improve this.  It "appears"  that it may be related to ALC firmware
issues.  The output is somewhat slow to ramp up in the SSB mode.

I find the Orion rx to be more "pleasant".  I know, quite technical, eh?  To
me, the K3 audio is a tad harsh, and weak signals seem to break up a tad.  When
working YK9G on 40 CW the other night, he was pretty weak at the time; in and
out.  Switching to the Orion, he was still weak, but solid copy.

Again, the K3 is an excellent radio and the Elecraft folks are simply great.
At this stage, I simply prefer my Orion.  Perhaps, additional firmware upgrades
will make the K3 an even better radio.

Other folks will undoubtedly have their own opinions. All are worth as much (or
as little) as mine.

73 John K4NP