Re: [TenTec] Cheap rig

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Cheap rig
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 18:49:50 -1000
Hi Rick,

I think you make an excellent point. Only an experienced ham or possibly
a new ham who is getting good guidance from an experienced ham would buy
this kit. A new ham (or ham to be) would most likely not have the
knowledge to judge whether this is a good rig, and even with enough
information to have confidence in the rig, might not have enough
confidence in his/her ability to put it together and get it working.
That is why the idea of a good, yet cheap, beginners rig might really
work to get beginners on the air and having fun. Many people these days
are willing to put some money into a new gizmo (of whatever kind) if
they really believe it will work for them (to do whatever it is they
expect it to do) and they more readily believe that if it has a
warranty, and resale value.  That is an easier decision than buying
something used or buying a kit. Having said all of that, still there is
no guaranty that they'll get on the air with it. I have seen new hams
buy a new rig, and never get on the air with it, because they are afraid
of making a mistake. I think mentors have always been important part of
keeping this hobby alive. I don't see that changing. So the club project
idea may be more successful.

And I still don't think deleting CW capability would make it sell better.

DE N6KB