[TenTec] Omni 546 C: CW filter questions

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni 546 C: CW filter questions
From: Marinus Loewensteijn <mjloewensteijn@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 08:35:01 +0000
A week ago I managed to obtain an unused, new in the box, stored for 28 years
Omni 546 C with 280 power supply and 215 microphone. Have the PTO kit on order
and when I clean the gummed up grease in the PTO and relube that I'll also will
relube some pots that are a bit stiff. Swapped it with money my way for a Yaesu
817 ND with CW filter.

I am impressed by the rig as it is already with it's audio filters but am
having thoughts towards getting the 217 (2017) 500 Hz CW filter. Rang Tentec
who told me they have none in stock and are talking to Inrad to supply them
with some filters. These Inrad filters are likely to have a steeper skirt.
Tentec does still have the 1.8 kHz (218) and 250 Hz (219) filter in stock.

The dilemma I have is that "normally" a steeper skirt means more ringing. I am
interested in feedback: do I wait for the new Inrad filters or should I go for
the 250 Hz (219) filter. The 250 Hz does not scare me that much but the
insertion loss for the 219 is almost double that of the 217 and I am concerned
about this loss.

Many thanks in advance, Marinus, ZL2ML.