[TenTec] AGC Threshold, RF Gain, Volume

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] AGC Threshold, RF Gain, Volume
From: "John Huffman" <hjohnc@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 12:34:19 -0400
I've had my Orion 565, using V2.062a firmware, for a couple of months and
really like the radio.

I do have some questions when it comes to AGC settings.  I have AGC slope
set to flat.  I set AF gain high and use RF gain to control the volume.  My
threshold settings are <1uv.

On other radios, the AGC threshold is the strength that causes the AGC to
kick in and anything over that strength has little change in volume.  If the
threshold is S7, then S7 and S9+20db signals have about the same volume.  I
think this is different in the Orion.

Listening to a net, I have been using the RF gain to adjust the volume, but
I have to change it every time a new station transmits since the RF gain is
either too high or too low.

If I strong signal and weaker signals to stay at about the same volume,
where do it set the AGC threshold?

Are the AGC threshold and RF gain the same thing?  They seem to have the
same effect.

Should AGC keep the volume level on strong and weak stations about the same?

I hope I've explained this well enough to get some guidance.

73 de K1ESE
John