Re: [TenTec] Model 1120 2M tranceiver

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Model 1120 2M tranceiver
From: Douglas <sparks06524@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 17:55:22 -0700 (PDT)
> Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 07:59:22 -0400
> From: k4qhn@aol.com
> Subject: Re: [TenTec] Model 1120 2M tranceiver
> To: tentec@contesting.com

> Doug I type the wrong model number it should have
> been 1220 2mtr and the 1260 6mtr . thank you for the
> correction . Do you went to sell them the ones you
> have /?
>
> Bill Quigley

Hi Bill,

No, I don't want to sell at the moment.
The 1220 was a gift and I built it myself.

I'm actually rather surprised that Ten-Tec has
discontinued the model 1220 2 mtr transceiver. It did
"fill out" their product line. I talked to them about
it when I bought the 35 watt accessory amp for it.
They were experiencing parts shortages at that time.

I suppose that it was a logical business decision to
discontinue those T-Kit transceivers. They didn't make
a lot of profit on them. In any event, they weren't
price competitive with the Japanese built units. I
wanted to build one just to bring back the memories of
my Heathkit days.

It went together well without any problems, except for
the slight background synthesizer whine in the
transmitted audio that I mentioned in an earlier post.
It apparently radiates from the display LEDS. However,
other stations say that it's not objectionable. It
just seems like a PL tone at a slightly too high
level.

If you do locate one of the 1260 6 mtr rigs, keep in
mind that the memory scan function can be added to
make it similar to the 2 mtr units. Ten-Tec parts sold
me a new PROM chip for the 1260 that when added with a
simple 2N2222 transistor switching circuit, adds
scanning of the memories and changes the front panel
switch function from tone to scan.

They also sold a 220 MHz unit - those are even rarer.

73,

Doug/WA1TUT