Re: [TenTec] DX radios

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] DX radios
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 21:35:07 -0600
On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 22:30 -0400, Kc9cdt@aol.com wrote:
> Ron,
> You are very correct... In fact there is a lot of things you can do to
> optimize even a 45 year old Collins S line when you operate it. Little things
> like
> knowing where to set the RF gain, and using the notch exactly right to get
> kind
> of a low/hi/cut effect (even though it is really for notching CW signals or
> carriers. Also the S3 line has a variable VFO and you can use it like a
> passband tuning of sorts.

Call that a Beat Frequency Oscillator! The S-3B/C also has that option.
Pass band tuning in the previous 75A4 was a mechanical coupling between
the BFO and the main VFO that moved them together at the same rate to
move the pass band without changing the pitch of the CW signal or the
SSB voice.  Tentec radios like Corsair and Omni V/VI used a 6.3 filter
and the same tunable oscillator to shift the 9 MHz IF signal to and from
6.3 to effectively give a variable frequency crystal filter. And when
the 6.3 filter is much narrower than the 9 MHz filter the effect is the
same as the 75A4. The TT Scout actually had a variable bandwidth and
center frequency filter to get some of the same effect.

So in the S-3 (and B/C) you have to move the tuning dial to compensate
for moving the BFO frequency.

> Of course what you can do on any radio is limited by it's capabilities too.
>
> I am still learning a lot about how to use the OII, but it offers a lot of
> options.
>
> If you just want to turn it on, leave everything at default and tune... there
> are better options for a lot less $.
> Actually in A-B testing with real life DX signals the highly modified
> Sherwood Drake R-4C I have can hear just about anything the OII can...of
> course it
> doesn't have all the buttons, bells, horns, neat display or conveniences.
>
> 73,
> Lee

73, Jerry, K0CQ