Re: [TenTec] OT: coax versus parallel wire, insulated wire for aerial

To: Tentec list <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: coax versus parallel wire, insulated wire for aerial
From: Marinus Loewensteijn <zl2ml@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 06:25:30 +0800
Jerry wrote:
A balanced line,  if perfectly balanced and closely spaced should have
little pickup

Yes, this is what others have mentioned using balanced wires. Rather than
addressing the symptoms it's better to address the cause. If the antenna is not
balanced then we better try to balance the antenna. Often this is due to one
part of the antenna being closer to some surrounding objects. The leg that is
close to the surrounding objects should therefor need to be slightly shorter
than the other leg.

One thing I found usefull is to use a "rat tail", a short piece of wire at the
centre of the antenna where the antenna is connected to the feeder. Which side
it is connected to depends on which side is unbalanced.

Sometimes the antenna is just a tad too short and then both sides can use a
little rat tail but then you'll have a problem with the weather moving the rat
tails close and further away frome ach other. (rat tails were something I came
accross when working with end fed zepps which I have now abandond: when I was
living in the country I considered it a wonderfull antenna yet on the small
city plot it picked up too much noise). Using rat tails on both sides in a
centre fed antenna is not a good idea, at one side is fine provided it does not
interfere with the feeder.

73
Marinus, ZL2ML