Re: [TenTec] OmniVI Plus Over Drive Amp

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OmniVI Plus Over Drive Amp
From: Jim WA9YSD <wa9ysd@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 08:22:55 -0700 (PDT)
Ahhhhhhhh!  I think I found it.  Swapped cables on either side of the Bird watt
meter running between the Hercules II Amp and TT 253 Tuner going to the dummy
load
with the Bird watt meter between the amp and tuner and all works well.  Put it
into the antenna and every thing not so well.
I swapped cables again and guess what the Bird had high SWR.  Looks
like the Jumper from the amp to the Tuner is the problem under that
type of load.  I had to splice 2 cables together to get a 3 footer and
it works pretty well now.  I will have to get a Cable Expert pre-made 3
footer and I will be back in business.

What baffles me is why didn't this show up with the dummy load?  Worked on CW
not on SSB, why?  Flaky cables!

I use to make up my own
and they went bad also.  I took all my jumper to field day one year tested them
with a Bird that a fellow ham had and
got rid of the bad ones and burned them in the camp fire.  Made nice
green colors in the flames.  Looks like I will have to do the same with
this bad one Bringing home the Bird sure
showed me how things are suppose to work.  Never thought I had to ever
do this again.

Thanks Ken for your help working through this.

 Keep The Faith, Jim K9TF/WA9YSD