Re: [TenTec] 527 6N2 Radio Deviation

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 527 6N2 Radio Deviation
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 20:38:50 -0600
On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 17:37 -0700, Jim WA9YSD wrote:
> What do I watch or what do I need to do to adjust the MIC level on FM?
>
> I can adjust it in SSB  and watching the ALC so it just turns on, and keep
> that setting and do not touch it again.  Is this how it is done?  I am having
> troubles find how to do this in the manual.
>
>  Keep The Faith, Jim K9TF/WA9YSD

There is no indicator in the radio for FM modulation. What works best is
to have some one listen with the narrowest FM receiver (likely a
repeater but possibly a rice box) that needs to copy it and bring up the
audio until it distorts in the receiver from hitting the selectivity
limits, then back the audio off maybe 10%. You get the greatest received
signal to noise ratio (best quieting) on FM with such an adjustment.
Running wimpy FM audio cuts the S/N and wastes RF power. Some receivers,
especially those with the squelch turned up too tight will cut out the
audio before it distorts. Those receivers are set wrong and the squelch
should not be set so tight.

Doesn't matter what the transmitter is, its critical what the pickiest
receiver is and you modulate to FILL that receiver's bandwidth.

73, Jerry, K0CQ