Re: [TenTec] OmniVI+ 30M L.O. instability

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OmniVI+ 30M L.O. instability
From: "Jack Mandelman" <modeler@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 11:09:22 -0400
Steve,

Thank you for the info on how you accessed the LO coils.   I made a copy for
future reference.  Since my problem occurs (so far) only when it's
extraordinarily warm in the shack, I'm postponing any attempted repair.

73,

Jack K1VT

Jack,

It's a few months since I had the same problem with my Omni VI on 160m.
If I remember correctly I was able to unbolt the FM and Driver boards
and flip them carefully to one side to get access to the mixer board. I
put a piece of thick paper under them to prevent shorts to the chassis
in their temporary position. I believe there was also at least one lead
I left disconnected from these boards to allow them to "flip" out of the
way, but which had no effect on the basic functioning of the Tx/Rx. It
should be obvious which they are.

There was a useful posting a few months ago on the list about how to
adjust the Crystal. It involved monitoring the pulse width on the PLL
chip. I did mine by monitoring the PLL control voltage, but I did find
that setting it mid-way between the 2 lock points didn't always give
best results. So the pulse width method is probably the way to go.

And as others have said, be careful of those cores - I cracked one, and
then the whole board has to come out!

73,
Steve G3TXQ