[TenTec] Orion 2 and Xlog keyer

To: TenTec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion 2 and Xlog keyer
From: "John B. Egger" <john_egger@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 19:31:58 -0400
Can anyone on the list help me with the "keyer" function of the Linux
program Xlog? I can hear its contest macros ("TU 73," "CQ de K3GHH
test," etc.), and CW typed on the keyboard, on the computer's internal
speaker (though not the speakers plugged into its "speaker" terminal),
but have not yet figured out how to get these data to key the Orion.

My sound card has "speaker," "line out," and "microphone" sockets, each
taking a 1/8" stereo phono plug. Right now (using adapters) I have the
yellow  female RCA Aux/IO cable ("line level audio out") plugged into my
sound card's "line out," and the black female RCA Aux/IO cable ("PTT")
plugged into the sound card's "microphone" socket (using the tip
connection on the stereo plug). When I touch that PTT tip to the
computer chassis, the Orion keys.

I don't know if this is an Xlog or an Orion question, but had to start
somewhere. I have not figured out the Xlog documentation on its "keyer"
function; it took me a while even to discover that a program called
"cwdaemon" had to be installed.

Ultimately I hope to try psk31, but thought I might start this
Orion/soundcard interaction stuff with the keyer. BTW, I do have a
serial port connection established, using hamlib. All I really use it
for is to insert the Orion's frequency into Xlog.

--
--John K3GHH
Registered Linux User #291592