[TenTec] Omni VI Xtal Oscillator PLL observation

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI Xtal Oscillator PLL observation
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2008 11:58:40 +0100
I set up my Omni VI Xtal Oscillator frequencies yesterday using a TT
Service recommended method posted on the list a few months ago. It
involves monitoring the LD (Lock Detect) pin on the MC145107 PLL chip
using an oscilloscope. When the loop is in lock, the waveform is a
series of very narrow, negative-going, pulses; you adjust the oscillator
for lock, and then for minimum width of the pulses.

I noticed that the pulses occurred every 20uS on every band except 30m,
where it was every 30uS. Looking at a data sheet for the chip, the pulse
repetition rate is the same as the (programmable) internal chip
reference frequency.

My question is: why would TT choose to use a different reference
frequency for stabilising the 30m Xtal?

73,
Steve G3TXQ