Re: [TenTec] rcw

To: n4py@arrl.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] rcw
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 18:43:43 -1000
> Reverse CW (on the Orion this is UCW) uses the upper sideband side of zero
> beat.  In reverse CW, as you tune up in frequency, the pitch of CW signals
> goes down.  In LCW mode, as you tune up in frequency, the pitch of the CW
> signal also goes up.

True....and.... which one, USB or LSB, would most correctly be called
"reverse" is a matter for discussion.

Before I bought a Ten-Tec Omni VI, I had used a Kenwood TS-440, which
operates CW using upper sideband. I was used to that, and a bit annoyed
that the Omni VI could only operate CW LSB. I think that most rigs these
day give you a choice. My preference would be USB, though there is no
really good reason to have a strong preference for on over the other, I
suppose. With USB as the standard for many commercial and military SSB
operations, even below 9 MHz where hams switch from USB to LSB, I would
think that USB would tend to be the default. I have got used to the Omni
VI LSB CW operation. If it wasn't such a good CW rig, I would not have
got used to LSB CW.

DE N6KB