Re: [TenTec] 546c advice

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 546c advice
From: "J. W. (Dub) Thornton" <dub@oklahoma.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 07:26:10 -0500
Verne:

There were three series of the original Omni radios.

The first series was simply called the Omni, until the Omni series B
came out, then the original Omni became known as the Omni series
A.  They were produced with your choice of analog, or digital dial,
and labeled on front panel as Omni A for Analog dial, or Omni D for
Digital dial.

The second series was called the Omni series B, and also was labeled
on the front panel as Omni A for Analog or Omni D for digital.  There
was a factory upgrade that could be had for about $75.00??, which
upgraded the series A to series B.  A metal tag "Series B" was
affixed to rear panel, and the front panel clearly showed
modifications for the necessary switches, etc.

The third, last, and best of the series was called Omni C,  (546C)
produced ONLY with a digital readout, and front panel was identified
ONLY as OMNI.

I think there is more confusion concerning the old Omni series, than
anything Ten Tec ever built.  I have owned the series A, factory
upgraded to series B, and currently own the Omni C.  They were and
many still are, good radios, however, are getting some age on
them.  I can't help with the price, but what you are selling is the
top of the old Omni line.

"73"  Dub

At 03:01 PM 9/16/2008, you wrote:
>Well Verne
>
>   I hve an Omni D that was a factory conversion from the Omni C. It
> came with the transceiver, 243 VFO, 252MO power supply, and a D-104
> Golden Eagle in good shape.I paid $500.00 for the lot.So I think
> that Jack is in the ballpark. I really like this rig and you can
> run split with the VFO and monitor both frequencies at the same
> time. The Omni D Series B is worth the most. Check the back of the
> rig look for a sticker that says Series B. The one problem common
> to all these rigs is after awhile the PTO starts to slip. But
> Ten-Tec still works on these. Hope this helps.
>
>        73 Joe K4XZ
>--
>JOE PATRICK
>SENIOR PLUMBING/MECHANICAL
>INSPECTOR CITY OF BOYNTON BEACH
>

>-------------- Original message from "Verne Smith"
><vernew7grn@cascadeaccess.com>: --------------
>

> > HELP i am disposing of a radio for a widow need advice on what it is worth
> > 546c with1.8 and 500 cycle filters
> > 255 speaker power supply
> > 243 vfo
> > 234 speech processor