[TenTec] Audio Hum on Omni-VII

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Audio Hum on Omni-VII
From: Bill and Cindy <wb0o@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 15:07:58 -0700 (PDT)
I just got my new Omni-VII last week. It seems to be a great radio, the second
radio in the
shack is an Omni-VI+, so I knew what to expect......

There is a hum on the audio. The Omni-VII is keyed from an old Compaq laptop
running
N1MM software, through an Array Solutions SO2R switch box. The hum COMPLETELY
disappears when the AC/DC adapter power cord is pulled out of the laptop and the
computer is on battery power. I don't remember this happening with the Omni
VI+....

Hmmm (no pun intended). Is this the AC/DC adapter going bad? The computer
apparently
takes 18.5 V at 2.7 A based on the listed output of the AC/DC adapter. What if
I just
power the laptop from the 13.8 V MFJ power strip that powers all the other
accessories?
Will this work?

Thanks, Bill /  KO7AA in Tucson