Re: [TenTec] Argosy II 525D Problems

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argosy II 525D Problems
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 20:50:35 -0600
On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 20:24 -0500, Gary Callahan wrote:
>     My Argosy II pulls 2.9 amps on receive (rated at <1 amp) and only
> has 2-3 watts output regardless of the output power switch setting.
> Receive is very good. Is this a known problem with them and what would
> my best repair option be?
>
>  Thanks
>  K4TNO
>     Gary

Sounds to me like the driver or PA transistor(s) have gone bad or their
bias circuit is driving them too hard. Typically the PA transistors have
power all the time, but the bias circuit should be turned off for
receive. The bias is stuck on or the transistors have suffered from
collector to base breakdown and are drawing the excess idling current
even on receive. The fact that it puts out little RF points more to the
transistors than the bias circuit.

I don't know about parts.

73, Jerry, K0CQ