Re: [TenTec] Problem with carrier on LSB on my Omni 6+

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Problem with carrier on LSB on my Omni 6+
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 17:54:42 -1000
Hi Ernie,

     There are two differences between USB and LSB that could explain
why the carrier is worse on one mode. The BFO (or carrier oscillator)
changes frequency when you change sidebands. If the carrier balance is
adjusted for the best null at one BFO frequency, it may not be as good a
null at the other frequency. I doubt that difference is very much,
probably only a few dB at most and not tens of dB. The other is the
slopes of the crystal filter skirts are not exactly the same on the high
frequency side and the low frequency side of the filter bandpass. Also
the position of the BFO in relation to the filter skirts is not
identical on both sidebands. The net result of all of those factors
makes the carrier reduction different on opposite sidebands. My guess is
that if you get the instability of the modulator balance fixed, it won't
matter anymore.

DE N6KB