[TenTec] Time Sharing Radio Access?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Time Sharing Radio Access?
From: "John Rippey" <w3uls73@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 13:27:01 -0500
For most of the past year I have not had access to an HF rig due to having
moved into a condo apartment in Wash DC. It is a 1950s vintage building and
its concrete/rebar construction effectively eliminates HF signals. (The
reason for the move was principally due to, but not limited to, medical
issues.) I truly miss being on the air.
So I have been casting around for options. One, of course, is to set up a
remote site using a dedicated computer and an OMNI VII. However, I have not
sussed out how this could be done, practically speaking.

I'm wondering whether Ten-Tec (or someone else) would not consider setting
up computers, OMNI VIIs, and antennas and renting them out in a time-sharing
sort of arrangement. I certainly would be willing to pay for such access
from my home computer and would be spared the nuisance of maintaining a
remote site operation, which would have to be, in all likelihood, at some
remove from my home. This could well be a profitable sideline for the
person(s) offering this service.

If FCC rules conflict, then I would suggest asking the Commission to think
about changing them. I am sure I am not the only ham who has had to go QRT
due to circumstances beyond his/her control.

Since I'm particularly an HF enthusiast, the idea of remote links via the
VHF options that are proliferating do have much appeal. I want to hear the
QRN and QRM.

Any thoughts as to the practicality of this idea?

John, W3ULS