Re: [TenTec] Time Sharing Radio Access?

To: geraldj@storm.weather.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Time Sharing Radio Access?
From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm@mendelson.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 21:02:49 +0200
On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 12:57:13PM -0600, Dr. Gerald N. Johnson wrote:
>Such an operation was described in QST a couple years ago.
>
>The Cyclone Amateur Radio Club at ISU set up such an operation a couple
>years ago, mostly as a senior project. I don't think it continues to
>run. They called it ICARUS.
>http://www.stuorg.iastate.edu/radioclub/projects.shtml
>http://www.stuorg.iastate.edu/radioclub/coover/icarus.shtml
>
>The main difficulty is in authenticating the internet use on a semi
>public web site and keeping hackers out of a private site.
>
>I believe there are several receive only sites that are remote
>controlled via internet.

This sounds a lot like echolink. All of the echolink sites I have used
were VHF, but there may be HF ones. I don't use it much it does not work
well on my setup. I assume that if you were in the US, trying to reach
a US site, it would work better.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM