Re: [TenTec] Shaed rig use.

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Shaed rig use.
From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm@mendelson.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 23:03:38 +0200
On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 02:50:34PM -0600, Marty Hartwell wrote:

>I have thought of asking the senior
>center near the center of town if they might put up a mast
>with wire antenna for shared use by others who may be in
>the same situation in our city of about 100,000. I think
>I would have to jump through a lot of hoops just to get a
>hearing on the idea. I do think a club formed just for this
>one purpose with a room and an antenna so a person could bring
>in their own rig and just connect to the antenna to operate,
>sign up to reserve the use and share the cost of rent and electric.

When I lived in Philly (mid 1990's), there were two radio stations
operated by clubs that members could use. One was a demo station at the
Franklin Institute Science Museum, which was especially good for retired
operators because it was more difficult to get people to cover it during the
day when school groups came on tours.

The other was run by a different club at the local Red Cross headquarters.
It was really intended to be used during disasters but they were glad
to have people come in and operate just to make sure everything worked.

Both clubs had minimal dues, the organizations hosting the stations
provided everything they needed.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM