Re: [TenTec] Omni V upgrade

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni V upgrade
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 14:28:29 -0600
On Wed, 2008-12-31 at 13:26 -0500, Scott Sheppard wrote:
> Please pardon a post that could have easily been made over 10 yrs
> ago...as with all areas of Ham Radio I am boldly forging into the
> 80's...
>
> Having just replaced the old chip in the omni V with Carl's V.92 chip I
> must say I am truly impressed. The biggest feature for me is the ability
> to zero in the VFO.
>
> That said, it would seem TT no longer has any replacement buttons for
> the clear enter or shift function so I will have to improvise. Has
> anyone come up with a better alternative? I am thinking a fine
> resurfacing of the button and then repainting the letters on...has
> anyone tried this?
>
> As well, what control software is the most popular for this omni v
> application?
>
> Kind regards and happy new year...
>
> scott VA3IED

Many a panel has been labeled with india ink either free hand or with a
Leroy lettering set (cricket and template). I've found a baked (180 F)
covering of clear Rustoleum has made the labels last a long time.

I've done that for commercial as well as ham projects over the last 40
years.

Many a silk screen drawing has been made commercially with the Leroy
lettering set. Especially military and internal component labels.

Paint might work but its harder to control, unless you can use rubber
stamp letters. That's how Collins "silk screened" prototypes. Paint and
rubber stamps. Neater than hand writing. The paint would last longer
with a baked clear coat.

I've taken stock buttons and had them engraved with a pantograph
engraver. Since I had wimpy LEDs inside, I didn't fill the letters, but
that's an option. Black crayon rubbed into the grooves and then rubbed
off the surface has worked for the last century. Paint stick is more
permanent than crayon.

Then there's rubdown lettering and there used to be water transfer
decals. Check a hobby shop for water transfer decals with labels for
cars, trucks, aircraft, and trains. They all survive longer with that
clear coat for protection.

I think Rustoleum spray clear is tougher than Krylon clear.

73, Jerry, K0CQ