Re: [TenTec] Centurion question

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Centurion question
From: <atrampler@att.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 15:32:42 -0600
Bob et alia

I agree whole-heartedly that the Centurion in no way needs the transformer
of HV PS replaced, unless it has failed.  I provided the link only to show
what one man has done, and to show that yes, higher voltage can be run on
then, but it is only with a purpose, such as moving the amp into a truly
differetn power class.  I think the Henry 3K-A runs a couple of 3-500Zs or
3-500ZGs; I Elmered a pretty wealthy guy around 1980 who bought the 2K-4
Classic X...before he had his license...and with the higher voltage,
somewhat more rugged tank components and cooling it was a legal limit amp.

You are right Bob about the reliability of the Centurion.  I am going to
send mine back at some point because I had a loose bolt or two on my
vertical and arced the plate capacitor on 20 meters severely...enough that I
went in with a file to smooth it out to keep it form arcing after I fixed
the antenna.  It still arcs every once in a while.  Also, I notice that on
40 meters in particular, into a dummy load or antenna, my loading is
generally up close to 10...if I'm only running 600 or 700 watts, it may be
10.

I don't know if there are fixed capacitors in the circuit on 40, but if they
are I wonder if they have strayed...

So I'll send it back, and also of course have the meters adjusted.

I love the amp though...it was just me not checking factory-assembled parts
when I installed this vertical.

73,
Art