Re: [TenTec] Omni V Low Output Problem

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni V Low Output Problem
From: Ralph Matheny <mathenyr@marietta.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 11:14:34 -0500 (EST)
Check the "overcurrent" circuit.  Remember, TT does not fold back the
PA based upon mismatch, but on the PA drawing too much current.  There is
a pot for that threshold, as there is for ALC. There is a power resistor
on the DC Power Board (.015 ohms, I think) which may be open.

But....my biggest question is this:  Is the QUALITY of the few watts you
have OK??  Check on SSB with another Rx.  If the quality is not OK, look
for bias problems.  If the quality is OK, let me know.  It happens I have
a roofing filter mod to put in my Omni V, thus it will be open and I can
take some readings which will get you toward a solution more quickly.  I
should do that anyhow, so when mine screws up I have a point of reference.

Don't ignore the power control pot and connections on the front panel.

If your manual is like mine you will find it isn't much help.  Most of the
boards in my unit seem to have significant variations from the "plans".
I have a copy of an Omni VI book, and the boards shown in it are a LOT
closer to the ones in my Omni V.  TT didn't seem to have a really complete
set of PDF's which matched, but Paul Clinton did help me a lot on a
problem I was having.  Gary Green, I think it was, was also very helpful
with parts and tips.

Ralph Matheny
K8RYU
207 Gibbons Place