Re: [TenTec] Omni VI - AGC and RF Gain Question

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI - AGC and RF Gain Question
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 20:10:35 -0600
Be sure you are not dis-engaging the AGC.  Look closely at the silk screen
and the position of the button for AGC ON/OFF and for AGC Fast/Slow.  I find
no reason not to use AGC.  As to AGC speed, I use Fast for CW and digital
modes and Slow for SSB.

As to RF gain, one should always back the RF gain down depending on band
conditions and noise level.  This applies to any receiver.  Where ever we
got the idea of turning the RF gain to max is just plain wrong.  Reducing RF
gain does not reduce receive sensitivity but does reduce system gain which
is important to establish correct Signal vs. Noise ratio for the band and
signal conditions.   It will vary from band to band and as conditions
change.  It will also vary depending on efficiency of the antenna.

My suggestion is do not use the ATTN unless you have a ham within 1 mile on
the same band and clearly have a overload situation.  Always back the RF
gain down to where the S meter shows S-1 to S-2 with no signal in the
passband.  If you are sitting there looking at a S meter reading of S-5 to
S-9 with no signal, otherwise just noise, then you have the RF gain too high
for the band/noise conditions.  Backing the RF gain down will improve S/N
ratio and weak signals will pop out of the noise.

73
Bob, K4TAX