[TenTec] multi pin plugs sockets

To: Ten Tec List <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] multi pin plugs sockets
From: Charles Harpole <k4vud@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 16:30:56 +0000
I have tried them all, and like you, I have an opinion:

Best all around is Cinch Jones, comes in three sizes, multiple pins from two to
over 24,

very strong with strain clamp and vy easy to solder to and unsolder, socket has
wiping

action upon plug in and out, Medium and large sizes Will take #14 wire if
careful and smaller is a snap!

Comes in panel mount and in-line style, and rare ones

are panel mound males with the pins recessed to avoid damage.  Newer ones

have a plastic cap but metal caps are found.  Best source:  Skycraft in Orlando.

Worse is the PowerPoles.... easy break, hard to solder and unsolder, can easily

separate from partner in two-pin configuration, falls out of socket at a breath
on

it, a really weird plug.

Molex is ok, banana pins ok, binding posts ok, screw terminal strips ok but
will rust.

Sad to see is the JA induced practice of using male sockets which have power on

the exposed pins, like 8pin mic connectors.  The rule is ...female for power
source, and

male for obtaining the power but otherwise cold.  And remember

NEVER SADDLE A DEAD HORSE......

GL,

Charles Harpole

k4vud@hotmail.com