Re: [TenTec] RF Gain and AGC Question

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RF Gain and AGC Question
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 15:25:20 -0600
On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 14:52 -0600, Bruce Warner wrote:
> Hi - just a follow up - I appreciate the advice and wanted to just ask on
> Walt's advice versus Carter's.  Walt indicated to make sure the AGC on/off
> button is in the OUT position (meaning it's off - with the inference that
> it's best to not use the AGC on the rig).  Then Carter, you said follow
> Walt's advice and make sure the AVC is on.  Possibly a dumb question here but
> is AGC the same thing as the AVC?  Is the recommendation from you both to
> just leave the AGC button in the out (or off) position?
>
> Thanks guys.

You will be happier with the AGC/AVC ON than off. Your complaint about
distortion with the RF gain all the way up is a classic symptom of
faulty AGC or AGC turned off. I gather that the button out is AGC ON,
but I've not become that closely acquainted with the OMNI VI since it
has other habits I don't appreciate.

73, Jerry, K0CQ