Re: [TenTec] bill orr article

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] bill orr article
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 16:35:11 -0600
On Sun, 2009-02-01 at 15:56 -0500, waltk8cv4612amos@att.net wrote:
> Open wire through GLASS ........... now there's an OXYMORON :-)
>
> Get tape and a carbide tipped drill bit ! I used 1/ 16 I think.
>
> Water on the bit and drill the tape marked spot on the glass at about the
> ladder line spacing.
>
> Feed #18 tined wire through the window and solder the open wire to it inside
> and outside.
>
> Find a way to tie off the outside open wire to take the strain off the
> glass. I tied off to a metal clothes pole with a couple of strings, leave a
> drip loop too. I use a knife switch inside to ground the mess. Yes, there
> are other ways but this has worked well for me. I think MFJ has a panel you
> can shut the window on. Might work too ?
>
> Walt K8CV Royal Oak, MI.

I've read of an easier way to make the holes. Get a BB and a drinking
straw. And its probably a good idea to wear safety glasses. Load the BB
into the straw, put the straw against the glass where a hole is desired,
let the BB roll back to the open end and blow. I've not tried it. I'm
sure on stressed or old glass there can be more than a little hole
knocked out.

I've used a bit of nylon rope tied to several cross insulators of the
old 1" spaced 18 gauge copperweld feedline, to anchor the ends. A
concrete block takes care of the ground end, that rope looped around the
center insulator takes care of the top end.

73, Jerry, K0CQ