Re: [TenTec] Centurion 422 Bias Circuit

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Centurion 422 Bias Circuit
From: Carter <k8vt@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 20:00:00 -0500
Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:
> My 1996 Centurion shows about 150 ma when in transmit and 0 when not in
> transmit.  I've always thought that to be quite normal and certainly
> acceptable.  Same for CW operation between characters.
Bob,
I won't agree or disagree with your comments on linearity.

However, I am not sure about the 150 ma you are experiencing in the idle
condition. The earlier Centurions (like mine) were notorious for having
the bias board fail. Furthermore, Ten Tec went through at least two
iterations beyond the initial board to solve this known problem..

Again, I don't know enough to address the linearity issue, but the bias
board, really the "Filament-AC board" (81537), is supposed to help
extend the life of the amp by reducing plate dissipation in the idle
mode. You may want to give TT a call and see if that 150 ma is normal.

73,
Carter   K8VT