[TenTec] First Observations on v. 2.041XL

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] First Observations on v. 2.041XL
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 21:58:09 -0800
Although I have only started with my testing, a few things are apparent:

1)    Bandscope looks good and appears to use space on the screen much better.
The 'cursor' is a nice touch and now the 'freezing' that happens when you crank
the dial is actually functional since you can move the cursor over a peak (or
valley) on the scope and when you stop turning, it re-centers at that spot.  I
have heard several comments that the frequency calibrations are now gone and it
would be nice to get them back.  Maybe just 'tic' marks every 5 and 10 kHz.  If
not, it's not that big a deal.

2)    NR in the RF AGC mode sounds better than it did.  Is it my imagination?
I'm listening to some weak CW stations on 80 meters and NR really helps...much
more than I remember.

3)    Auto Notch seems to attack faster and eliminate the carrier more
completely in RF AGC.  It takes a while for Auto Notch to null the carrier in
AF AGC, but it does eventually do it, and as promised, the S-Meter and overall
gain respond to removal of the offending signal.  Manual Notch also works very
well in AF AGC.

4)    When I first started testing, I had some sporadic 'crashes' when
adjusting the Notch and Auto Notch in AF AGC, but this no longer happens.  I
also noticed that I don't need to restart the radio when I switch between AF
and RF AGC.  There does seem to be a significant level difference between the
two.  This may be the reason why NR does not seem to work well on AF AGC...it
sounds like it needs more signal to get up into the threshold range.  This may
just be a tweak that needs to be done on the final version.

Overall, much improved!  I'll start transmit testing tomorrow.

       Ron  N6IE
      www.N6IE.com