Re: [TenTec] Keyboard advice...

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Keyboard advice...
From: d.e.warnick@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 16:10:05 +0000 (UTC)

Steve,

There's no connection for 'just a keyboard' as on some other rigs. What you
want is to have your computer do the  CW work for you. There are many logging
programs that interface to the Omni VI series and include CW. I have used MixW
and now prefer N1MM. Look around at them. Many (like N1MM) will cost nothing
and can key your rig. If you haven't used your interface port to connect your
Omni to the computer for logging, that is the first step that you should take.
It's especially important for contesting. The time, frequency and mode are all
taken care  of for you. All you need to add is the station worked. Much of the
CW keying can be done by defining the function keys on the computer keyboard.
Most software packages refers to 'macros' that do this for you. There is a
learning curve, but it's pretty intuitive. If you ask the guys on the reflector
which package to use, you'll get as many opinions as there are hams (I just
said N1MM, didn't I). This just means that there are a lot of really good
packages out there, and many are shareware. Best advice would be to try a few
and pick the one that suits YOU.

Then, again if you have done the interface work, you're already there

Dave

WA3MKB