Re: [TenTec] Orion2 auto tuner

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion2 auto tuner
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 18:22:36 -0500
Some mention of "high" SWR.  What exactly is high SWR?  Some folks consider
2:1 as high while other consider 10:1 as high.  I think we'd all agree that
10:1 is indeed high.

I've found that Tentec PA's are happy with 3:1 SWR or less.  Now then
there's two conditions that cause a 3:1, being a load of 150 ohms or 16.6
ohms.  The latter is more likely to cause a problem.

At the same time, I have demonstrated an open condition on the antenna does
not cause as problem as the current values are low, as well as a short on
the antenna where the current value is high.  The difference is that the
current overload takes control where the SWR is due to a very low load Z
causing PA current to exceed 20 amps.

73
Bob, K4TAX